Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Belle Study


So I've been supplementing Shiyoon's class with Walt Stanchfield's "Drawn to Life" which is seriously like...a Bible. I just love how there are such great animation books out there :) But really, it's great. And something that I've always read and have been taught about are overlaps and avoiding tangents. I've seen examples but for some reason I've always been afraid to just COPY something... you know? I have the stupidest fears...I guess because I always think that if I try to copy something I'll suck and hate myself forever. Starting to get over that though.

ANYWAY.

So Shiyoon told me to copy frames from animated movies, which finally drove me to actually do it. Originally I was going to just do gesture or something from Beauty and the Beast, but then I was so frustrated with how awful I was drawing Belle that I wanted to spend time and really study her construction.

And wow.

Why haven't I been doing this again?

Just this simple drawing taught me SO MUCH. All those things I've been reading about...it's soooo different to just look at examples than it is to try and draw it EXACTLY and UNDERSTAND how it's working. This will probably be Beauty and the Beast month...hopefully every month I can study a different film. I'll start with one since I'm new at this... :) But yeah. No wonder so many people do this. Hopefully I can do at least one of these a day...then maybe I can do 20. We'll see. ;)


7 comments:

  1. Wow that's perfect! I love Belle. She's my fave princess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwww thanks Lisa! :D :D :D Yeah I love her too!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing! And great job on the logo. Your coloring is really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow thanks Mike! :D :D :D Yeah I don't really color too much...should do that more often. I'm still learning. That logo isn't even done I just wanted to put something up to contrast all my line drawings since I'm such a lazy colorer -__-

    ReplyDelete
  5. do u want to go to disneyland and draw there? just cuz we can ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. btw i like your new banner thing on the top of your blog. its new yah?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Chris! Yeah it's new...well the sketch has been there but I attempted to color it. The coloring isn't done yet but I wanted SOMETHING on my blog to be colored. Haha xD Glad you like it! :) YES LETS GO TO DISNEYLANDDDD!!! CAN I GET A FREE CARICATURE FROM YOU?!?!?! xD hahaha

    ReplyDelete